Monday, November 14, 2005

Old man winter, be our friend.

Dear X,

I have never feared depression.

That is, I have never feared my depression. In fact, for most of my life, I never even questioned it. It’s one of those things, like “death and taxes,” the existence of which you unquestioningly accept as normal since it’s all you’ve ever known. It is what it is. You deal as you have to. You live and you learn and you muddle through as best you can.

But your depression... That’s another story. That’s something I fear, with much the same type of uneasy, helpless resignation reserved for the next terrorist attack or the ultimate demise that is, of course, everyone’s eventual destiny. For I’m too intimately acquainted with it to just shrug my shoulders; to just believe that it’s surmountable and that it will just go away. I’ve struggled with it too long to think, even for a second, that your struggle will end (or even lessen) any time soon.

And that’s hard. It’s easy to accept and resign myself to my own daily battles; it’s difficult to watch you wage your own.

In darkness,
P/O

2 Comments:

Blogger Lostinspace said...

Oh dearie. I love your line about being "intimately aquainted with it...to just believe that it's surmountable and that it will just go away." I wish it would - I wish it would disappear the way vapor does, when the pool is heated, and there is that short glimmer of fog above the water. But the fog lingers, and we still swim in it.

1:48 AM  
Blogger ~Manda said...

yep... winter time is the ULTIMATE depression. i already can't wait for SPRING!
A~

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home