Thursday, April 20, 2006

And those who call the shots, are never in the line of fire.

I’ve been kind of depressed this week. And now that the week’s almost over, looking back, I think I can pinpoint why.

As previously noted, I recently spent a three-day weekend with my family. And as is often the case, much of our conversation revolved around politics and the depressing state of the world. One major discussion centered on the immigration issues that have recently come to the forefront of the media circus. Now, I have strong feelings on the subject (shocking, I know) which I will not get into here, but suffice to say I was pleased with the success I experienced in getting certain extended family members to at least consider a perspective that was different than the one with which they entered into the conversation. Props to rational dialogue.

This segued into a “discussion” of the state of education in this country—yet another vital government provision that is mired in politics, posturing, rhetoric, and, of course, ways of thinking that are disastrous in their shortsightedness and refusal to take into account the input and/or experience of the people actually involved/affected. I put “discussion” in quotes, because really, all I could do was listen. I come from a family of educators, so needless to say, when they all get together the conversations can rapidly turn into litanies of their daily trials and tribulations. Every day is a battle. Not with the students, mind you (though that’s a subject in and of it itself), but with administration and bureaucracy. And it makes me sad.

My sister-in-law is a special ed teacher, so if the sorry state of education in general is something that has ever crossed your mind, you can only imagine what the current administration’s views are when it comes to special education policy... As she talked and talked, and I listened and listened, it all got to be a little much for me. Suddenly it was indicative not just of special education as my sister-in-law experiences it, or even special education in general, but rather, everything that’s wrong with the system of representation here and the ways in which policy and law are made and enacted.

Clearly, this is my problem—this tendency to immediately morph the micro into the macro and let it overwhelm me with its enormity. Recognizing this helps, because as we all know, admitting we have a problem is the first step in correcting it. Thanks AA!

But seriously, what will it take to elect leadership that is actually in touch with the people it represents; that actually takes into account the lives and needs of the people that will actually be affected by its decisions?

2 Comments:

Blogger PG said...

hrmmmm... I nominate...
YOU!!

wooowooo! p/o for President!
I'll be your marketing campaign manager!!

um...er... if you'll let me...
(sheepish grin)

5:20 PM  
Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

Sorry I missed that discussion with your sister on SpecEd...

Cheers,

Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's
Kitchen

And I Quote Blog

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home