Monday, April 17, 2006

And the wind and the moon in fits of restless conspiring.

Got in super late last night from a three-day weekend with the family, after stupidly not anticipating the insanity that would be Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor on the Sunday evening following both Easter and the major Passover celebrations... Ah well. A little travel stress never killed anyone I suppose, and it’s still better than being betrayed, beaten, tortured, and nailed to a cross. Poor Jesus.

Speaking of, much of the usual hilarity ensued as my parents, brother, sister-in-law, and I gathered together once again, for the first time since Christmas. Some of which came as a result of me attempting to say “grace” before our Easter meal... As a family we really have no religion, but a few times a year we do try to pretend. And while we’d probably never be caught dead in an actual church, we do attempt to take a moment to reflect and say grace before a meal. Because in truth, we are spiritual people, and we are grateful and happy and full of love. So when it’s my turn to do the honors, I usually try to focus on these things and how thankful I am for the people gathered around the table and their presence in my life.

But this year, something went terribly, terribly wrong.

Suffice to say, after my...heartfelt...words, my brother said, “I think that’s the first time in the history of the world that grace has included the words, ‘I don’t really have strong feelings about god.’”

I am so going to hell.

But anyway, by the end of the three days, I was, as usual, ready to come home. We’re a loud and boisterous bunch, and all that stimulation does start to wear me down. I start to really look forward to that moment when I open the door to my quiet little Manhattan sanctuary (what a weird pairing of words that is) and flop down on my comfy and familiar bed. I would never trade the happy times with my family, but what can I say, the subsequent alone time is always a nice change of pace.

But late in the day yesterday there was a change of plans, and it turned out that I returned not to my own quiet apartment and my own empty bed, but instead enfolded myself immediately into the arms of someone I knew that I had missed, but hadn’t realized quite how much until that moment in which we found ourselves once again wrapped tightly around each other. And it was so, so nice. Perfect. I wish we could have stayed that way all day.

Weird that I’ve always thought of myself as such a loner...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home