Monday, November 07, 2005

My back is sturdy, and strong.

Don’t get me wrong: I accept responsibility for this situation, such as it is. I know that I made my bed, and that really, I have no choice but to lie in it right now. But hell. The realization that it’s my fault doesn’t make it any easier to stomach the consequences in the present. I mean, that’s like telling a guy who runs a red light, causing an accident that kills his best friend, that he doesn’t have the right to mourn his best friend’s death since he’s the one who caused it. Jesus.

So that’s what I’m doing. I’m mourning the situation I currently find myself in. Cut me some slack. I’ll get up and get over it eventually, and then I’ll start making some other bed, which will ultimately be more comfortable to lie in.

See, for whatever reason (nature? nurture?) I’ve lived my life wholly and without hesitation offering myself up to the people I care about. I can’t imagine it any other way, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with that. As a result, my nearest and dearest regard me as “Good ol’ dependable P/O,” or “Loyal and loving P/O.” Good qualities, all. Nothing to be ashamed of there, that’s for sure.

But see, the mistake I’ve made (of which I am somewhat ashamed and have only in the recent past begun to realize) is that while I’ve spent my life willingly bending over backwards to meet the needs and demands of others, I’ve also made it a habit to render myself as needless as possible, thereby demanding little to nothing from them. This is a problem. It’s inhuman. And I even think that for many years I took some perverse pride in shouldering all my burdens alone—as if sharing a load would be a sign of incorrigible weakness. And so now I find myself here, wishing I could do some sharing, and knowing that it’s my own fault that I can't.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to post a comment, but it went haywire. First AudioBlogger and now regular Blogger! What is this world coming to!

At any rate, I was saying that since you know you got yourself into this situation, I'm sure you know you can get yourself out of it. Sometimes it's hard asking for help, but I'm pretty sure you'll find that those you've helped in the past will be happy to return the favor.

12:53 PM  
Blogger raven said...

I've spent my entire life doing the same exact thing. I was always the friend that people went to with their problems. I could give them great advice, be the shoulder to cry on, or just the person who would listen and let them vent. But I'd also be the tough love friend who wouldn't let get away with rationalizing away their problems or let them get down on themselves. I'd also be the friend who would be there for anything -- to go see their crappy show or sketch comedy gorup, to help them move, or any other otherwise ridiculous favor.

However, I never shared any of my own issues and problems with people. I figured I could handle it on my own since I helped so many other people through their rough patches (rational thinking, sure; but doesn't pan out in practice). However, when I realized I couldn't handle things on my own I resented my friends because I didn't they were there for me.

I didn't get over it and embarked on a crazy journey that luckily had a positive end. However, I wish I had just talked to someone. I had a few friends I could have said something to, but didn't. Once things blew up and got bad I did call one of my friends. I made the call in a moment of panic. It was the best thing I could have done and I truly wish I had done it earlier. It might have saved me from a lot of pain.

You say that it's all your own fault because this is the way you've set things up with some friends. But there's nothing saying you can't redefine things. You might be surprised how many of your friends will be willing to "come to the rescue," but haven't in the past simply because you've never asked.

Of course, there's always new friends who are now closer to strangers you can reach out to as well ;-)

1:56 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

I hear ya. I feel like I'm the one everyone turns too and that actually makes me very happy. I love knowing that people know they can count on me, but then there are the times that you need that favor returned and noone is around magically and that sucks. Don't know if it'll help or not but I'd listen to ya if you ever needed someone to. =)

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home