Wednesday, October 26, 2005

We are here to help you sing your songs. (Finale)

So last night’s WYSIWYG was hella fun. As evidenced by the fact that here it is 11:00 in the morning, and I’ve just pulled myself out of bed and begun to pull myself together... Yeah, um, I do work a 9:00-5:00 job. Really. Thanks WYSIWYG!

Seriously though, the crowd was great, the talent was great, the organizers were great... It was just one big, terrifying lovefest.

All of the performances addressed the theme of terror in their own creative ways. Ed read what was, to me, probably the most terrifying tale of the evening: a...harrowing...account of high school locker-room antics and emasculation. Julia had everyone rolling in the aisles with her tale of, well, just about everything funny in the universe, bookended by an account of a “chilling” experience waking up cold, alone, and confused in a shed somewhere in the French countryside, awaiting her doom at the hands of an unknown “assailant.” Rachel recounted her heroic showdowns first with intruders in her apartment, then with her own personal monsters and demons, and finally with her terror concerning the L-word (love, not lesbians, silly). And she was followed by Liam (who, in the course of his reading, revealed the existence of some...history...between he and Rachel), telling the touching tale of how he conquered some of his own personal demons, which had the women in the audience oohing and aahing in sympathy and admiration. Seriously, if anyone could have gotten some last night after their performance, it was Liam.

After the readings, the Chris of all Chrises raffled off the awesome door prizes (including a “safety stick” which I can only assume is some kind of euphemism similar to “personal massager”), and then “The Mope,” an acoustic duo containing one of the other five hundred Chrises gathered at PS 122 last night, performed two appropriately goth tunes to the delight of everyone in the audience. I believe they also mentioned some sort of pre-apocalyptic gathering to take place at Crif Dogs later in the evening, but as I could not shed my unfortunately conformist ways, I opted instead for other forms of merriment and smiled in the face of my assured destruction.

So afterwards (Oh, what about me, you ask? Well, I followed Julia, and I’ll post what I read tomorrow, for anyone interested), my friends and I headed over to Company with the rest of the crowd, and there it was discovered that this one chick who I was looking forward to meeting totally blew us off, and that the Chris of all Chrises and I are soul mates. (I don’t really remember why, but I think it had something to do with the mutual irrational fears of our youths.) Yeah. I got drunker than I thought, quicker than I would have thought possible, which I guess might have had something to do with the fact that my dinner last night consisted of a cupcake. (It was a damn good cupcake, though!) And if it hadn’t been for Andy’s birthday, I wouldn’t have even had that. Happy Birthday, Andy!

So then we headed over to Phoenix to hang for a bit with these other dudes that were in attendance and take advantage of the 2-for-1 beer specials. Clearly a bad idea given my rapid descent into sloppy drunkenness, but hey, how can you pass up those pink plastic chips? Memories of the conversation, though extremely entertaining, are a little hazy, but I think we may have discussed fisting and debated whether or not guys only want to date guys who remind them of themselves. Or maybe not.

I don’t know. Then I headed out into the cold and made my way home. And overslept. And here I am. Can’t wait to do it all over again!

8 Comments:

Blogger Helen the Felon said...

Sorry. Raincheck!
I heard you were awesome.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was because I had a similar childhood freak-out story regarding the Jaws preview when I went to see Benji. Except I DID piss myself.

12:41 PM  
Blogger ~Manda said...

sounds like you had an AWESOME time.. :) can't wait to check out what you read! :)
A~

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what the hell kind of internet presence do you think you can have if youre not on friendster?! how am i supposed to know what your favorite tv show is, or what company you work for?!
great job again last night.

1:37 PM  
Blogger raven said...

Bad planning kept me away sadly, but it sounds like it was a great time... especially the after the show part.

9:29 AM  
Blogger JMG said...

Nice job at Wizzy, mister!

9:39 AM  
Blogger raven said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:03 AM  
Blogger P/O said...

hey, thanks guys and gals.

felonious, i was just kiddin'. i didn't want to meet you anyway. :)

duh, how could i forget that, chris??? now you've made me want to bail on work today and just go home and watch jaws...

and gabe, i know, how lame am i? i guess you'll have to just ask me those questions like everyone else. i reserve the right not to answer, though. ;) nice meeting you, btw.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home