Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I stood too long in the way of the door.

I have never stood, and will never stand, in the way of anyone walking out the door. In fact, if I see them inching towards it uncertainly, I’ll usually help them out by holding it wide open with a smile. That way they can waltz through it unfettered, with nary a backward glance. Then, once they’re gone and out of sight, I’ll sit down, take stock, and start to deal with their absence. On my own.

Actually, I’d say I take it even one step further. I have such a strong phobia of pushing myself on anyone, that as soon as I feel any inkling that I may be doing just that, I’ll back off and leave them alone. Who knows how they interpret my sudden retreat, but all I know is, I’m not going to be the one pushing harder, wanting more, investing more of myself. Hell no. So I’ll stop pushing, and if they don’t step up and pull back, well, I’ll just get up and hold that door open for them. In fact, I might even chase them over the threshold.

And then I’ll be sorry that they’re gone. And I’ll have to deal with that. But whatever. At least I didn’t have to resort to doing all the pushing. Which, of course, doesn't necessarily end up in my getting what I want...

Hell, maybe it’s time I started doing some pushing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Robyn said...

I know a whole slew of people like you. They've been accused of pushing too hard before in their lives so they've resorted to not pushing at all. Sometimes people need a little shove tho, it's not always a bad thing.

12:36 PM  
Blogger raven said...

First of all it's not Wed... CHEATER!! ;-)

Second, maybe it's time to start telling the people you're pushing that they need to start pulling. Might sound like a stupid comment, but think about it.

Beers soon.

9:48 PM  
Blogger P/O said...

weird, how did that happen? i'm going to go fix that right now. thanks for keeping me honest. :)

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home