Friday, April 29, 2005

Stone me, like you own me.

I got really angry at work yesterday. And in a weird way, it felt good. And I think it came as quite a surprise to my coworkers, as I just about never get worked up about anything. I mean, it’s just work, people. It’s not worth it, and any problem is surmountable. Just call me Level-Headed Mr. Fix-It.

In fact, in the over three years that I’ve been at this job, I’m not sure I’ve ever really gotten angry about anything. I mean, sure, I do the whole “let’s be outraged about something and rail against it” bonding thing with my boss, but honestly, there’s a big difference between that and being hopping mad about something in a personal way.

And you know what did it?

I was accused of emptying the water cooler and not replacing the bottle.

I know. I’m insane.

But here’s the thing. I honestly didn’t do it. And I’ve never dealt real well with being accused of things I didn’t do. And I couldn’t, for the life of me, figure out where my coworker who lobbied the accusation ever got the idea that I was the culprit.

And what’s more, not only have I never done that, but I would never do that! I am so ridiculously anal about pulling my own weight in any kind of “team” environment. I replace water bottles. I take out trash. I clean up after myself and others. I deal with other people’s mail and packages. I offer to pick up lunch, coffee, snacks, etc. All things that could easily be sloughed off on support staff, but I just don’t do things like that. I’m young and able-bodied, and try to be considerate of others and free of ego and sense of entitlement.

Hence, it struck me as particularly offensive that a weight-puller such as myself could be accused of not pulling his own weight in such a grossly inaccurate way.

Hard to effectively make a point like that, though, when getting all worked up about it. In fact, my reaction (and the fact that it came as a result of something as ridiculous as replacing a water bottle on the water cooler) probably got my name very quickly added to the list of employees to monitor closely for signs of an impending violent meltdown.

Ah well. Who am I kidding. I’ve probably been on that list since Day 1.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home