Thursday, February 09, 2006

You'll learn one day, won't you?

Those that know me know that, for whatever reason, I've been reading a lot lately. I go through phases. Sometimes I can focus on the written word, and sometimes I can't. Lately, I have.

While traveling recently, I finished the book I was reading on the plane. So when I got to my destination and was looking for something else to read, my friend pulled I Know This Much is True down off a shelf and handed it to me. So I read it.

I think I liked it a lot; it gave me a lot to think about. I cried several times while reading it, too. Not out of sadness, but because I was so moved. I'm not sure that's ever happened to me while reading before... So much of it hit so close to home.

Although it’s a page-turner and a pretty quick read, I also found it to be a somewhat difficult read. It’s basically 900 pages of misery. Seriously. No happiness. Just struggle and angst and anguish. But still, it manages to be beautiful, and ultimately uplifting. And it all seems so real and immediate. There are rays of light sprinkled throughout, and while I wouldn’t characterize them as bits of “happiness” per se, they're incredibly moving.

I’ve already talked a lot about it with X, and I’m going to give it to him so that he can read it, and then we can really talk about it in earnest. I’m not sure if he’ll like it, but I know it will give us a lot to talk about.

If you're in or have ever been in therapy, you'll probably appreciate this book on at least some level. Although, you may come away from it hating your therapist and wishing he or she was more like some of the therapists in this book...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home