Thursday, January 26, 2006

'Cause I'm high on forever.

I’ve been doing a lot of leap-before-you-look type stuff lately, as opposed to the reverse. Whenever there’s a choice to be made between action and non-action, I look at which scenario holds the most potential for regret. And you know what? By and large, it’s generally inaction that stands to be regrettable.

So I’ve been acting. And loving living my life this way. For instance:

Contacting people who may or may not want to hear from me. If they don’t, that’s their problem, right? And if I don’t take the initiative, then I won’t know for sure. And that’s regrettable. Better for the ball to be in their court (having been put there by me) than to be sitting uselessly in my own.

Saying yes to things that may be outside of my comfort zone. Again, the only way to know for sure is to give it a shot, right? If I just say no, then I’ll never really know, and undoubtedly I’ll regret that fact.

Making my own needs or desires known to the people I care about. For if I don’t, then how can I possibly hold anyone but myself accountable when neither are fulfilled? And if I do and they don’t respond, well then that knowledge is just as valuable (though maybe initially more painful) as getting what I want or need, is it not?

Thinking less about reaction or consequence in relation to the things I say and do. (I say “less” and not “not at all,” because I would never delude myself into thinking we can just speak and act with no thought at all as to the consequences of our actions—that’s just selfish and gross.)

All in all, it’s been a good year so far.

7 Comments:

Blogger Nate said...

Having made many good and bad choices in life, my true regrets are with the roads not taken. Way to go P/O!

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

... i'd really like to know what do you think about gay people... i know it has nothing to do with anything, but still. oh, and don't freek out. i'm a girl, i'm not a gay guy. :)

5:11 PM  
Blogger Helen the Felon said...

Nice work brutha! You go.

Please tell me the previous commenter is kidding. She's kidding, right?

10:21 AM  
Blogger P/O said...

like god, i hate fags.

11:02 AM  
Blogger ~Manda said...

lol anon its a good thing you put that comment without a name or face... cause you would straight get LAUGHED at! even though im still laughing, i wish you would comment without the anonymous button... or hell even EMAIL me, that way only me and YOU know who you are! you must be new here or something? com'on email me.. i wont LAUGH AT YOU! promise..

um they say, the only stupid question is the question NOT asked... but im just gonna have to DISAGREE in this regard! what the hell does it matter AND what difference does what P/O thinks have in your life??? nothing against you P/O lol (of course)

back to the post:
NO regrets! that's awesome... that's prolly the only regrets that i have in life - the choices i SHOULD have gone with but didn't because i OVER anylized it. UGH! what an ASS i am!

3:08 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

The thing I love about anon is that if you read the whole series of P/O posts, I don't think there is anything to indicate whether his issues involve another man or woman - a testimony to quality writing and that these are universal issues - not ones of sexual identity.

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P/O said...
like god, i hate fags.


But the fags love P/O!

2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home