Friday, January 20, 2006

In the midnight hour, I can feel your power.

Yesterday was a marathon day. Crazy day at work, followed by Avenue Q (awesome), then cheap and plentiful drinks with friends at a neighborhood dive, capped off with a round of incredible late-night/early-morning sex.

Yeah I’m tired, but it was fun. And one might think that the highlight of the marathon was the sex, or maybe even the hilarity of Avenue Q (which I had never seen, and was pleased to finally get to). But one would most definitely be wrong. That’s right. Because the highlight of my long and fun day actually came during drinks with friends, when one of said friends presented me with what is, perhaps, the single most exciting material possession I have ever had the pleasure of holding in my hands. And it’s mine. All mine. I’m still giddy over it, and not just a little overwhelmed. In fact, I told this friend that this gift has, without a doubt, justified our many years of friendship. Suddenly, everything I’ve invested in her (and us) is beyond worth it.

What did she give me, you ask? I fear to even make it public, as then I will no doubt be besieged by “friends” I never knew I had, all wanting in on the action. Like one who has won the lottery or come into a huge inheritance.

Ah, but what the hell. Are you ready for this? She gave me a Stations of the Cross coloring book. A STATIONS OF THE CROSS COLORING BOOK!! Oh Catholics, how I love thee. It is beyond brilliant. I’m overwhelmed with the possibilities of how I may use this in my life. Flipping through it, I’ve already been clued in to many of life’s little mysteries; things I can’t believe I made it this far without knowing.

For instance, Jesus apparently died not only for our sins, but to teach us to obey our parents. Who knew! God, my childhood could have been so much different... And apparently, little Catholic children simply adore coloring pictures of people in hospital beds, as there are an abundance of them sprinkled throughout this little masterpiece’s pages. My hands itch to color in the sad old man on his deathbed, with only Jesus to comfort him. Not to mention the scary melted Jesus-face on that shroud Veronica used to wipe his sweaty brow. And I’m not even going to touch the various images of priests posed suggestively with their little “altar boys.”

I will say, though, that whoever created these little line drawings definitely had a deep appreciation for Jesus’s human form. And at the tenth station, when Jesus is stripped of his garments, it is revealed to us once and for all: that man was buff!

2 Comments:

Blogger raven said...

AWESOME! I think I actually had to color in one of those in 3rd grade. Good Catholic schooling will do that.

Though I feel especially dirty laughing at your Jesus was buff commment.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Limecrete said...

Avenue Q is at the top of my list as far as shows I really want to see. I don't know if they'll ever bring it here, but it looks awesome.

And of course Jesus was buff! Dude got tons of exercise.

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home