Thursday, September 08, 2005

Little bird, I won’t prey on you. I won’t prey on you, this time.

If you’re going to survive any significant amount of time with me, it’s essential that you have a sense of humor about yourself and can take nearly constant, good-natured ribbing and needling. It’s a trait that resides deep in my nature. It’s one of the ways I show affection.

I realize now that I got it from my grandfather, whose relentless instigation while growing up was sometimes an annoyance, but more than anything was a near constant reminder that his attention was always focused on us. Out of love, he sought to always make us laugh. And as a result, my brother and I enjoyed a ridiculously close relationship with him. I feel his absence in my life to this day, even though it’s been almost a decade.

So yeah, if you’re going to be with me, you need to get a kick out of such silliness.

But more than that, you need to be able to give it back. Because while I can somewhat easily curb my own behavior when it comes to meeting the needs of others, I cannot so easily curb my desire for that type of attention. I guess since I myself use it as a form of affection, I crave that type of affection from those whose affection I desire. You can take your hand-holding and your arm-draping if you want, but if you can’t make me laugh at myself, well...I sure as hell can’t do it for myself.

8 Comments:

Blogger contraddict said...

Hi

9:51 AM  
Blogger raven said...

I'm so glad you wrote this because this is exactly how I am. I find myself giving people I particularly like a good natured ribbing. And when I find someone who can give it back to me just as good it's even better.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

yea I've been known to offend people on accident just because I'm joking around. I have a REAL bad habit of saying "your momma" lol just cause it's something to come back with when you can't think of anything else, but a girl I work with started crying the first time I ever said it to her cause her mom died when she was little or something so now I say "your step mom" to her when she pisses me off. lol

2:59 PM  
Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

Guilty here too!

Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's
Kitchen

And I Quote Blog

5:31 PM  
Blogger P/O said...

well, looks like we should all hook up. :)

9:06 AM  
Blogger raven said...

sounds good to me.

3:14 PM  
Blogger raven said...

well emerald since P/O and my wife and I are in nyc... looks like it'd be easier for you to come to us ;-)

5:41 PM  
Blogger P/O said...

that's right. we new yorker's travel for no one. the world comes to us. :)

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home