Monday, August 29, 2005

And when you breathe, you breathe for two.

We went to bed very, very late, and it wasn’t a deep sleep. But it was nice. At one point, we ended up so tightly wrapped around each other, faces and bodies pressed together so forcefully that we seemed to be breathing for one another in semi-consciousness, lips searching blindly in the dark.

I fucking love that.

Woke up, went through the motions of the morning routine, got dressed, and flopped back down in bed for a quick reprise. And I thought, how nice it is to start the day this way.

And then I thought, who the fuck just thought that? How in the hell could I have known myself so poorly for so long?

But I’m not going to dwell on those things.

Funny how at this age, closer to my third decade than my second, I’m still learning how to live this life. Maybe that’s why I’ve never felt capable of settling down: because I’ve never felt confident in my abilities to negotiate the twists and turns of this path on this planet. And yet so many people who are so clearly less well equipped appear so confident in their own abilities.

The curse of the overthinker, I suppose.

3 Comments:

Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

"The uncontemplated life is not worth living."
SOCRATES

Cheers,
Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's
Kitchen

And I Quote Blog

5:22 PM  
Blogger Lostinspace said...

hi sweetie. "closer to my second than my third decade..." i think you are about 26-27. still youngest of BR and me. that makes me the neurotic and unstable middle child. oh well. i read your imagery of the 2 of you intertwined, and i thought, yes! me too! i also fucking love that.

6:13 PM  
Blogger P/O said...

emerald: very true. thanks for the reminder.

hk: so true, so true. good thing my life is almost constantly in a state of contemplation.

lost: close, but no cigar: i'm 28. now the cat's out of the bag. yeah i'm the youngest, but not by much. :)

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home