Monday, August 22, 2005

That ain’t the end, but it sure ain’t where I begin.

And so another year in this particular life ticks by. And what better way to mark its passing than with an entire weekend of self-absorbed, instant gratification? I know I can’t think of one.

Friday night found me... Well actually, I guess my weekend really got started with Thursday-night-into-Friday morning. But I’m not talking about that. Sorry.

So Friday night found me at this rooftop party in my neighborhood where I met these fellow bloggers, as well as one of the famed co-inhabitants of G’s apartment. Who I’m sorry to say met a rather untimely end by the sole of my flip flip.

When that particular terrace reached critical mass, I joined the mass exodus and cabbed my way down to the lower east side to join forces with one of my favorite partners-in-crime (nothing to link to, sorry) and stayed out way too late and got way too drunk. I have a vague recollection of a scandalous encounter with some guys in a pizza shop, but the details are foggy to say the least. [“Interesting” side note: did you know that all taxis must, by law, have an EZ Pass? I didn’t! And I know all sorts of other fun taxi cab facts now, thanks to my friendly cab driver.]

So Saturday morning I dragged my hung-over ass out of bed and began to shakily prepare myself for my own shindig, set to occur later that evening. It was a long day to say the least, but 5:00 found me taking a quick “disco nap” and readying myself for the onslaught of friends who would no doubt linger into the early hours. They did, and it was a blast. And once again, I became one half of a pair of occupants of my bed. But this was completely innocent, I swear to god! Nothing happened except drunken snoozing. Seriously. Besides, I had that same favorite partner-in-crime crashed out on the futon, acting as chaperone.

So Sunday began with a very late brunch with said partner-in-crime and one of my very favorite people in life (again, nothing to link to, sorry) up near Columbia, after which we decided to take in the IMAX version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Yum. Which, amazingly, I managed to stay awake through before heading home and passing out once and for all.

I have to say, this year has been a long and a strange one. Hard in so many ways, and yet so good in so many others. It’s weird, because when I stop and really think about it, I realize that I spent much of my life up to this point not really expecting to make it this far. But here I am, and glad to be here, and just beginning to figure out where I’m headed now. You know, I guess since I never really expected to be here, I didn’t bother trying to come up with any kind of a plan.

And yet, another thing about me is that as I go through life, I only ever remember the good, rapidly forgetting about anything particularly bad or unpleasant. I’m a total hindsight optimist. It’s weird, because I know a lot of people who are the complete opposite: when reflecting on the past it’s the hurt or the pain that stick out, coloring memories and impressions. But if you ask me, my life has been nothing but sunshine and happiness, even though I admit that as I go through it all I have a tendency to succumb to periods of darkness. But that darkness never seems to linger or leave a lasting impression.

And so, it is with complete sincerity and in all honesty that I say that this was a really great year. I look forward to seeing what the next one has in store.

6 Comments:

Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

Yes Yes! Charlie was great in IMAX!

Cheers,
Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's
Kitchen

And I Quote Blog

3:00 PM  
Blogger Fat Asian Baby said...

1. i wish i had realized who you were when i met you. i thought you were drone's friend.
2. we ended up cabbing to orchard bar to shake booty after all. too bad we didn't stick together.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Lostinspace said...

hi sweetness...did i miss something? was today your birthday?

12:19 AM  
Blogger P/O said...

hola. it was actually friday, but it was a long weekend of celebration...

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy (belated) Birthday. I hope this upcoming year is a great one and I look forward to reading about it.

xoxo,
Blood Ray

1:24 PM  
Blogger P/O said...

thanks blood and emerald! you were totally invited. i just forgot to tell you. :)

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home