Thursday, June 23, 2005

If that train ever does come back, then I will be on board.

Last night found me at Studio 54, sitting in the audience of A Streetcar Named Desire. Good stuff. I’m glad to have seen it. I had been granted a complimentary “general admission” ticket, which meant basically I would show up, and then five minutes prior to curtain they would seat me in the best available seat at that time. Never one to care where I’m seated in a theater, that was fine by me.

When I got there, I was pleased to see that they had a simple and efficient seating system in place. All general admission ticket holders were given a numbered seating pass upon our arrival, and then at the appointed time we were to be seated in the order of the numbers on our passes. Simple. Orderly. I like order, especially in situations like these that have the potential to devolve into Lord-of-the-Flies, every-man-for-himself scenarios.

So I stood there in our little group, pre-seating, and chatted with the pleasant enough two dozen or so people around me, all of whom were easily twice my age. Minimum. How sweet. The gist of their conversations centered around how this production would live up to their memories of Brando or Jessica Lange, or any number of other names I recognized but can no longer remember. Having never seen the film or any other production of the play, I had little to contribute to the conversation, but stood there nodding my head and enjoying its pleasant tone of anticipation.

And then all hell broke loose.

Seating time came, and any memory of our preceding (human) pleasantries was abandoned as the panic of getting that “best available” seat ensued. I watched in a combination of shock and amusement as a dozen or so of these, my elders, whom I reminded myself I must respect, pushed passed me (ignoring the significantly higher numbers on their passes) and succeeded in being seated ahead of me. They might as well have elbowed me in the ribs and exclaimed, “See ya, sucka!”

Ah well, I certainly wasn’t going to put up a fight. I settled into my own perfectly comfortable seat, puzzling over the abrupt transformation and alarming behavior of my fellow theater-goers. But whatever. I sighed and prepared myself to embark on the light-hearted joyride that is this little ditty of a play. (Oh you know, alcoholism, domestic violence, rape, insanity. Happy fare.)

Midway through, we're told that the opposite of desire is, in fact, death. And suddenly I had a much better understanding of my fellow general admissioners: they were simply alive! Their behavior was a pure, unbridled demonstration of their vitality; of just how alive they are and hence, just how far away from death. Because damn, did they desire those seats!

On my train ride home, the man I was standing next to saw me thumbing through my playbill and asked, “How was the play?”

I smiled and replied, “Oh it was good. Yeah. I enjoyed it." He told me he had just come from seeing something else, and I smiled and asked, “Oh yeah, how was that?”

He told me it was good. At that moment, we stopped in the Lincoln Center station, and a man got on with a large white instrument case. Probably a bass. A woman two seats away from where I was standing got his attention, smiled, and asked whether he played for the ballet.

“No, I play for Light in the Piazza,” he replied with a smile, clarifying that it was a musical when the woman failed to recognize the name.

What was this??? Strangers chatting on the subway? Without the unifying subject of a terrorist attack or other disaster? I felt like I had crossed into an alternate dimension, where people are united under the common banner of New York City theater. Or something. Damn. Such friendliness. Such pleasantries. I was pleasantly taken aback. Maybe there is hope for humanity after all, I thought.

That is, until we’re forced to compete with each other for best-available, general admission seating!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always get a knot in my stomach when I find out something is general admission. I hate it, hate it, hate it. I'm one for order as well, but if I've been waiting patiently (and arrived early, a concept which seems to be lost on most of the general population) I'll be damned if someone is going to push ahead of me, elder or not.

That being said, I kind of hate you right now. Natasha Richardson is my favorite actress (I saw her do Cabaret twice) and I wept a little inside when I found out she was playing Blanche, since there was no way in hell I'd be able to see it. I've been missing living in New York more and more lately, and most of it has to do with the amount of theatre available.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Lostinspace said...

Ha, Ha. I can honestly say that I would probably elbow my way through the crowd...even past the men and women with their snowy hair...Isn't that horrible? :)

2:06 AM  
Blogger P/O said...

blood: aw, don't hate me because she's beautiful. ;)

lost: don't get me wrong, i can be a real dick. i just wasn't feelin' it over the whole seating thing the other night.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

Hehe...

Well, you'd find me sitting back waiting for the seat in the back on the aisle... I always like to watch the audience as much as the play itself...

Saw Light in the Piazza from waay up top... and loved every minute of it... The staging was so brilliant, I was glad I could see the whole thing. When you're down close, you miss the big picture...

Know what I mean?

Cheers,
Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home