Thursday, June 16, 2005

I want an easy plateau, some place to rest my head.

I totally had a Missed Connection Moment (MCM) last night. (If you don’t know what I’m talking about, go here, click around a bit, and all will be revealed.)

It was at the Amy’s Bread in Hell’s Kitchen, where I stopped for a quick bite on my way to the theater. I had just finished paying, turned toward the door, and caught this guy checking me out. We held each other’s gazes for far longer than necessary, at which point I smiled and went on my way. And as I walked out the door I thought to myself, “Damn, now that’s the shit MCM’s are made of!”

And then I thought, “Damn, I can’t believe craigslist has made it into my interior monologues.”

Clearly I spend too much time in front of a computer.

But that’s ok, because when the weather is as oppressive as it’s been, all I want to do is hide in air-conditioned spaces. I’m happy to go from my office to my apartment and back again, with maybe, maybe a stop in a bar or movie theater in between. Generally I’m pretty good at ignoring the weather and going about my business, but when it’s so oppressively hot, I’m just like, “Yeah, see you in the fall.” It’s like some warped form of hibernation.

But as I walked across town, reveling in the sudden shift toward comfortable weather that occurred at some point as I sat in my office, I thought about all the things I’d suddenly rather be doing with my summer than sitting in my office. All of a sudden I’m all like, “Yeah boyee, places to go, people to see, things to do. Let’s hit the beach. Let’s hit the road. Let’s hit the water. Let’s just hit it.”

And then, as I walk along, I’m all like, “Shit, no one to do those things with right now.”

Sigh. Maybe I should have headed back to Amy’s Bread...

1 Comments:

Blogger Lostinspace said...

it's june gloom here in southern cal. so lots of gray overcast and 60-70 degree weather. you should come here and hit the water.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home