Wednesday, June 22, 2005

And I always knew there’d be a road back to here.

This morning on the A/C/B/D platform of the 59th Street subway station, there was a man playing (well, banging on, anyway) a xylophone. Loudly. And badly.

Normally I would have found this assault on my senses annoying, especially given my frazzled state, having just come from the sweltering confines of the doctor's office (Yeah, I'm sick. Have been for a couple of weeks. But have I whined about it on this here blog? Hell, no!) where I succeeded in sweating through every layer of clothing on my body. However, I was momentarily caught off guard by the fact that this man was standing there on this, the second day of summer, on a mobbed, hot, and humid rush-hour New York City subway platform, pounding out “Silent Night” with reckless abandon.

Ahh... Calgon, take me away.

At the end of my appointment, the doc used the word “inertia” to describe what had kept them in their former office for so long, until the building decided not to renew their lease (converting to condos, natch). And that struck me more than anything else he said during the appointment. For what was it if not inertia that had been the guiding force in my life for, say, the past few years?

And then this year, 2005, things changed. Once again, I am the one exerting all forces pushing me forward. And although it’s tiring, damn it feels good.

Move over, xylophone man. I’ve got some tunes of my own I’d like to bang out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lostinspace said...

What you need is some Jamba Juice with the immunity boost. I chug that thing whenever I am all achy and sick. :)

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home