Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Courtney Cox, I love you, you're so hot, on that show.

Awesome WYSIWYG last night. It’s amazing how much talent there is out there in the “blogosphere.” (I had to put it in quotes, because I feel like such a fucking geek using words like “blogosphere.”) The six Jewish performers (and one token Christian) kept us rolling with their tales of Jewy-ness, although I admit that a couple of times I had to look to my (Jewish) companion for explanations of Yiddish terms that were previously unknown to me. Always up for increasing my vocabulary!

Martha Garvey, the non-Jew, kicked off the evening with her funny and touching tale of her kind-of Jewish dog. Then my memory of the order gets a little hazy, but I know that Richard Jeffrey Rothstein killed with a story of his family’s hush-hush tradition of putting up a Christmas tree and secretly celebrating Christmas each year (and then he handed out mini bottles of scotch to Chris and a few lucky audience members). Annie Karni related the smart and funny history of her own journey of Jewish self-identification, and then Dan Fishback slayed us first with his description of his drag creation “Anne Frankenstein,” followed by a harrowing account of a trip to the doctor for his, um, bleeding ass. According to him, nothing is more Jewish than complaining (kvetching?) about health problems... Susie Felber kept up the laughs with her wide-ranging accounts of strife at US Magazine (only to find out there was an editor in the audience) and strife within her own Jewish family. Josh Bernstein told of getting blood taken from his penis (sorry, not Jewish, and don’t remember the word for this “ceremony”), and finally Matt Loren Cohen presented an all-out multimedia extravaganza (ok, slideshow) depicting his Bar Mitzvah, which he described as the gayest Bar Mitzvah Boca Raton has ever seen.

All in all, an entertaining and educational evening!

Afterwards it was over to Company for a drink, which turned into a few drinks, which led to being jokingly told by the (very cute) bartender, “No PDA in my bar!” She then proceeded to buy us round after round of drinks, noting, “You guys are gonna get druuuuuuunk.” And I was like, "Yeah, and you’re gonna be sorry when the PDA really starts!” So not sure what that was all about, but hey, I’m not one to turn down rounds of free drinks! Ended up being much too tired (and ultimately, drunk) to head over to Phoenix with the guys (maybe next time), so we slapped a $20 tip down on the bar and stumbled out into the suddenly freezing Manhattan streets.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good seeing you last night, although I'm bummed we didn't spot each other until I was leaving! Thanks for coming and for the kind words about the show.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Limecrete said...

nothing is more Jewish than complaining (kvetching?)

Well done. And yes, it's pretty much true. The only thing more Jewish than complaining is Chinese food.

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, why was Courteney Cox mentioned in the title? I'm scratching my head, but I just don't get it.

11:52 PM  
Blogger P/O said...

blood: it's a reference that *someone* out there has to get... come on people, don't disappoint me! :)

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it because she was supposed to be Jewish on Friends and is decidedly the most non-Jewish looking person on the planet?

Or does it have to do with that short story about bleaching her asshole?

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS - I still love her, though. She was always my favorite.

2:16 PM  
Blogger P/O said...

well, i guess you could be close with your first theory... it's a line from south park's version of the dreidl song, so if the fact that she was jewish on friends played into the south park guys' decision to sing about her, well then, ding ding ding! :)

but now, you absolutely *have* to tell me the bleaching asshole story.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a short story that my friend Joe told me was hilarious. I didn't find it funny at all. Not that I think Courtney's asshole is sacrosanct or anything. I just didn't like the story.


http://www.jillsoloway.com/material/stories_courteney.htm

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home