Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I'm ok when everything is not ok.

Ok, I haven’t been writing enough (read: at all) lately, and that’s got to change. So get ready to lap up whatever I vomit out onto the page. You know you love it.

The Christmas/New Year holidays came and went jollily and without incident this year. Well, pretty much without incident. I borrowed one of my parents’ vehicles to drive out to Kentucky, and my dad swears it came back with brand new dings and dents. But I didn’t hit anything! I swear! And regardless of the truth, I have a hunch that’ll be the last time I’m leant a vehicle for a little cross-country jaunt. Oh well.

Kentucky was awesome. I have dear friends and a two-and-a-half year old “nephew” out there, and it’s so great to spend time with them. I love the balance of kid time and adult time we seem so effortlessly to establish. Highlights definitely included running around the playground, lunchtime puking at the local Italian restaurant, and realizing that when I care about the kid in question I actually find temper tantrums and red-faced screaming (oh yeah, and puking) kind of…funny. And endearing. Who would’ve thought? But it’s true. I love the little details, and I love him for reminding me of that. It’s been a long time since I’ve been a part of the raising (corrupting) of any young’uns, and I do enjoy it. And soon enough, people all around me will be popping them out.

My grandmother just turned eighty last week. Eighty! I can’t believe it. She seems so much younger to me. (Possibly because my whole life she’s insisted that she’s thirty-nine…) She’s so active and full of vitality. And still so vital to my life. So while I can’t wait to celebrate this milestone with her and all of our extended family (big surprise party on the horizon), it is of course made a bit bittersweet by the realization that this number eighty serves as a reminder that she’s older than I like to recognize, and that we will inevitably lose her one day. It was hard losing each of my other grandparents, and I dread the day I will have to say goodbye to one more. But if I’ve learned anything, it’s that fearing the inevitable serves no purpose but to temper the enjoyment of the present. So I’ll just enjoy the present, thank you very much.

That’s enough for now I suppose. We’ll see what else I dredge up tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home