Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Of love and dreams to share. (Day 12)

And behind magical door number twelve we have… garbage juice!

(Sorry, but I got nothin’.)

Garbage juice is the disgusting urban phenomenon that appears on sidewalks in commercial areas after piles of garbage bags have rested on them all night and been removed in the morning. Though it would be offensive at any time, it is especially unfortunate that one will most likely encounter festering pools of garbage juice first thing in the morning, when gross things seem to take on an even greater level of grossness. I mean, early morning has the strange power to render things we would normally find delicious utterly disgusting, let alone things we would normally find utterly disgusting. And I don’t want to meet the person that doesn’t find garbage juice utterly disgusting.

Garbage juice is at its most offensive in the heat of the summer, when odors are at their most powerful and funks are at their most festering. However, it occurred to me this morning that the winter lends itself to seeing much more garbage juice than any other season, since business owners are not out religiously hosing down their sidewalks in the cold weather. So I ask you: to which sense is garbage juice most offensive: sight or smell? I’m currently on the fence.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found out about you because i was having a very grey day...right in the other side of the ocean. Then I realised I was more than a year late...

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm coming down on the side of smell. ESPECIALLY in the summer. New York City smells like hot ass in the summer.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home