Friday, May 06, 2005

We've no time for later now.

I hadn’t seen S in months, and re-connecting with her recently was so effortless and so much fun. Two seconds into us being together we're crackling like old times, sparks flying back and forth between us, and she blurts out, “Whoa, I’m not sure I’m ready for you yet.”

And it was just so perfect.

So as we’re leaving the bar a few hours later, she looks at me and says something to the effect of, “You seem so much more settled and happier than before.”

And that kind of floored me. To think that someone I hadn’t seen in so long could be with me for such a short time and make such an astute observation.

From the moment we met, S and I had one of those rare, immediate connections. Without any effort we just hit it off, and almost immediately started conversing and hanging out separate from the people and the situation that originally brought us together. In my experience, that just about never happens. Once in a blue moon two people just cut right to the core of each other, forsaking the caution or convention that surrounds the formation of the majority of human relationships.

It’s like the bond is actually entirely outside of our control; as if it exists in and of itself, and we’re just the media through which is expresses itself. And though I generally strive to have as much control as possible in life, giving it up can be liberating. A bond so outside of my control seems pretty hard, if not impossible, for me to break. And these days, where so many have been broken (or simply disintegrated of their own accord) that’s a pretty comforting thing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lostinspace said...

Your writing is great. Keep it up. :)

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home