Thursday, May 26, 2005

The sky is grey. The sand is grey. The ocean is grey.

After work, I decided to forego my “usual” run in favor of a long overdue haircut. And in hindsight, the haircut did much more for me and my state of mental well-being than a run ever could have. How vain is that? But sometimes we just have to succumb to vanity, I guess. And to the desire to have someone run their fingers through our hair.

Hey, I’ll take it where I can get it, thanks.

So post finger-running I decided to compensate (in some small way) for my lack of physical activity by walking the twenty-some blocks back to my place, despite the chill in the air and the constant threat of rain.

In fact, I revel in these unexpectedly cold and grey days. In my highly un-sensible t-shirt I hoofed it uptown (mentally, I was skipping), grinning inwardly at all of the people I passed huddling into their jackets and sweaters, clearly distressed at the fact that they had to be doing so in the week leading up to Memorial Day Weekend. While I couldn’t have been happier.

Growing up, I spent a lot of time at the beach and on the water. Memorial Days, Labor Days, Thanksgiving Days, President’s Days, and countless days in between. I’ve always loved the sun, the sand, the water, the heat, the people... But give me a cool, grey, solitary day by the ocean, and I’m momentarily transported. It’s like my form of meditation. I have memories of such moments in times and places throughout my life, all over the world, and I was re-experiencing them last night as I walked back to my Manhattan apartment.

Later in the evening, continuing with the grey theme, I watched Schindler’s List. I’d never seen it (thanks, Netflix!), and don’t know what took me so long. I think I thought Tom Hanks was in it, who I have a really hard time watching in anything.

It totally wrecked me. And putting aside all of the things it makes you feel and wonder about humanity and the world, I found myself wondering whether it would or could ever be made today, in this social and political climate, little more than a decade after its original release.

And if made, would it ever be received as rapturously as it was eleven or twelve years ago?

I want to believe so. But I don’t think I do.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lostinspace said...

well, i think we should all have a chance to see your fabulous haircut. :) i saw schindler's list my senior year of high school (so that very well dates my age). i cried endlessly. we could use a little more grey in cali. way too hot and sunny.

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad someone else finds Tom Hanks to be a tough sell. I just don't get him. I never have.

It's an interesting question you pose about Schindler's List. Unfortunately, I have no interesting answers.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home